Tuesday, January 6, 2009

First Day of Class

So having never taken a sociology class before, I was very unsure of what to think. I am a biology major so its hard to imagine this class would be very relative to any of the other courses I am used to taking. What shocked me was when Gillian first described sociology, for all of us who had not taken a sociology class before, as the scientific (yes, right up my alley) study of human behavior in social context. This really put my mind at ease because I am comfortable with dissecting things scientifically, so this should be relatively similar.

I truly enjoyed taking the descriptive terms that I had generated about myself and applying the tags of either "Agent" or "Target". Agent, being the dominant term, surprisingly did not come up very often in my bank of terms. Target (the more subordinate term), on the other hand, did come up quite often. Whether it be younger brother, son, student, or serious personality, all of these terms I believe fall into the target section. This made me wonder if not quite being an adult yet had any influences on my choice of descriptive terms? Had I been an adult, would I have chosen more Agent terms? I also noticed that, similar to me, most everyone had only a few Agent terms.

This class seems to have a different style, and as stated in the syllabus it will be more like a "seminar" which sounds a lot better than a plain, old class. I am excited for the film critiquing and I also believe the that the service learning will be very beneficial. I do have to say that I do not look forward to present in front of the class (for any reason) but since Gillian has expressed an attitude of involvement, maybe this will help with my fears.

I'm not exactly sure how long these blogs are supposed to be but I'm going to stop...I am sure that length will be discussed later this week.

1 comment:

  1. Oops - I didnt give any explicit instructions on how long posts should be. How about "as long as it takes?" I want this to be a helpful reflection exercise - it's more for you than for me. Frankly I feel a bit like a voyer reading your blog - but it's also a privilege (that I wont abuse). I suppose that is what blogging *is* - now I know the appeal. Neat stuff.

    Since you *are* a scientist/biologist, maybe you can help me out when I'm grasping for examples to explain the differences between perspectives!

    I expect that this class environment will be good for those of us who are anxious about beign at the front of the room. So far everyone's been pretty kind to me - I bet you can expect the same.

    ReplyDelete