Monday, January 26, 2009

It wasn't till I read "Working-Class Students Speak Out" that I truly realized how a lot of these personal stories within our book emulate the struggles my father encountered growing up. He uses this story time and time again to keep me motivated and to help me realize how good most of us have it.

Growing up, my father was the third oldest of nine siblings. His family's deep Hispanic roots and low income made the small villa he lived in more bearable and apart of their custom. He shared a room with his 3 other brothers for most of his childhood but more importantly his parents made sure that they lived in a safe neighborhood.

By the time he was in high school his father, my grandfather, was completely blind. His oldest sister played the role of mom while my grandmother (his mom) worked to put food on the table. Like many of the stories told in our book, the family was able to eat because everyone pitched in financially. He never was pushed to go to college like most of us were by our parents, he didn't have that luxury. If he were to follow the path of many other Hispanics in the area he would be working in some agricultural field for low wages the rest of his life.

His senior year, the football/wrestling coach made him promise that he would seek higher education. That he wouldn't just finish high school and head for the fields. As the first in his family, he enrolled in Yakima Valley Community College the year after he graduated. He received his AA degree while supporting himself, working for his soon to be father-in law in the potato fields. After graduating YVCC, he then enrolled at Central Washington University. There he got his degree in Education, so that he could teach Spanish. He taught Spanish classes for Wapato High School for 37 years, and as of the Summer of 2008, he is now retired.

The most impressive obstacle that my father overcame was when he met my mother. As I had mentioned before, he had worked for her father during the summers to help pay for school. He was a decently wealthy farmer, and in the eyes of my grandpa my father was a "field working Mexican". Eventually they were married and my grandpa didn't speak to my mom for 6 years because she had married a Mexican Protestant (my Mom's family was Catholic). He did not acknowledge their marriage and, most of all, did not think my father was worthy enough to marry his daughter. The day after my sister was born (6 years into marriage) my grandpa finally picked up the phone and ask, "when can I see my grandchild?" My father never once held a grudge, never once ask about the previous 6 years...he just accepted the current situation and never looked back.

I was in complete udder shock when I was finally told this story. For a man to forgive someone for ignoring him for 6 years (because of his race and religious affiliation) was unreal to me. I would have snapped. I would have said, "I am waiting for an apology..." But I'm very proud of my father. It takes a very dedicated man to come out of the fields, put himself through college, ignore discrimination, and to provide an amazing life for his two kids.

Many of these stories have hit home for me. To know someone personally that has gone through these struggles and has come out ahead is an uplifting feeling. It also brings into perspective the reality of these discriminations and how prevelant they are, even in today's society.

No comments:

Post a Comment