Saturday, January 31, 2009

Last Thoughts

So very much like our service learning, I had some assumptions coming into this class and they have drastically changed. I have a ton of new knowledge that I hope I can use to benefit and inform others. I had imagined a class full of busy note-taking, and focused writing assignments (you know, the boring stuff). Instead this class offered informative essays of different perspectives, (sometimes heated) debates and discussions, and room to be creative. This class has made me more aware of my surrounding environment, and it has gave me the tools to assess situations on my own.

The final project/paper was a very challenging assignment. Gillian had left it pretty open-ended so that as a group, we could be creative. I felt confident with our groups work, everyone adjusted their schedules so that we could all chip in. I think our newspaper turned out great and our candy presentation was filling.

Overall, my first blogging experience was entertaining and sociology as a subject expanded my thinking. My service learning has truly inspired me to continue serving the local community. I have already signed up to volunteer on Tuesday...Trinity Lutheran Church is doing all it can and I enjoyed being apart of that. Thank you to all the students and to Gillian for making my experience fulfilling and enthralling.

No comments:

Post a Comment