Friday, January 9, 2009

Trinity Lutheran Pantry Service

So I had the honor of working at the Trinity Lutheran Church in their Pantry Service with another classmate. I'm very glad that I decided on this service learning opportunity because it made me very aware of the efforts our community in Parkland is making to help those in need. People that fit a certain criteria are able to come in once a month on either Tuesdays or Fridays and receive a bag of food. This food bag may not contain much but to have people from the community donating their time and effort to try and help in any way possible, is simply amazing. The TLC also puts on free community meals once or twice a month, so that anyone can come in and have a hot dinner.

The two ladies that I was able to work next to were particularly special people. They were there usually every time the Pantry was open to, flat out, feed people. They wanted those who worked up the courage to come in and ask for help to know that THEY cared, that they wanted to assist them, and that they understood sometimes people need a hand. Theses ladies could be doing a hundred other things but instead they come to TLC and hand out bags of canned goods, macaroni, and top romen...It didn't matter if you were homeless or if you were tight with money and had mouths to feed, bag after bag was generously and graciously handed out.

When Gillian had these service learning activities set up I'm not sure she imagined the effects that it would have on students, especially me. I had some time to reflect on this experience and I found myself wondering how I could help this cause. Its as simple as coming in for a few hours on Tuesday and Friday, or even buying some extra food when you go grocery shopping and dropping it off at the church...I already know my schedule for spring and you can bet that most Tuesday mornings that I'll be at TLC preparing bags and handing out hot coffee to whomever comes in.

I was also very pleased to hear that the PLU Dining Service and the PLU garden has/was donating food to this wonderful group. Anything helps and everything counts.

1 comment:

  1. I did not *dare* to imagine that the experience would be so meaningful. Of course I'm delighted. It seems to me that you were receptive to being touched by the experience - even recognizing that asking for help - even when the need is as deep as staving off hunger - takes courage. It is a far cry from the description of "people asking for handouts." I can imagine myself pretending to be tough if I were in such a tight spot as to need help acquiring food.

    ReplyDelete