Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Small Group, Discussion, and Movie

Today was very interesting and stimulating. I feel like we had a great discussion on the election of President Barrack Obama. The discussion caused me to think about the pressure and weight that the President must feel going into his first term. Society has often been quick-triggered or it will cause a jump to conclusion reaction when dealing with minorities. Many classmates brought up great points about how entire populations or races are labeled with certain aspects because of the actions of one person. This relates to this new issue of the effect President Obama will have on other minorities running for president in the future. If he does "fail" (and I use quotation marks because only society will reveal him as a failure, not individuals) what does that mean for other minorities in the future? Are there chances hurt or increased with the successfulnes of Obama's term(s)? It was quite clear that yes, if he fails, minorities will experience more set backs again. If he succeeds, will minorities be seen as "equals" (I feel that they should already equals, but unfortunately society, education, employment, ect. does not)?

I also had a revealing experience when we broke down into small groups and discussed our oppression worksheet. It was at first hard to think of specific instances where I oppressed another...but once i did, it was actually quite depressing to think that I did some of these unspeakable acts UNCONSIOUSLY! But I also beleive that the first step to changing yourself is becoming aware of the types of oppression and the effects that they can have. It really shocked me to realize what society has caused. It has made me unaware of situations where I have oppressed someone, and has caused me to have the feeling that I was actually acting normal. My powerlessness oppression was when I was training someone to do my old job. I made him powerless and ordered him around without even realizing what I had done or that I was doing anything wrong. This activity has made me more aware and concious so that I can do my part in reducing oppression...

And finally, the movie True Colors made me almost ashamed. To think that this was going on in 1990's and is still continuing (maybe even more so) in todays world. This movie was another example about how society has caused people to jump to conclusions and think stereotypically about people of different race. The youth of America is incharge of breaking those aweful habbits, give people the benefit of the doubt, and to treat people as they would like to be treated. I would personally like to change how I think about others, be more aware of the truth rather than stereotypes, and to try and look past any color or race and simple view them as human. A hefty goal in today's society.

No comments:

Post a Comment