Thursday, January 8, 2009

Movie and Reading

Having grown up on Disney and Pixar movies, Mickey Mouse Monopoly really shocked me. When you watch Disney movies for pleasure (at least in my case) you don't really catch those racial injections. Little did I know that the Beast was an abusive and brutal form of a significant other, and that all pretty girls had slim waists and curvy features. I guess you could say I feel into the trap that Disney was setting; I traveled to Disneyland, I watched all the movies, and I was a consumer and a traveling ad (because I used to wear Disney t-shirts). I do have to argue that as far as I am aware, those racial injections and the sexist remarks and actions did not affect how I viewed the world. This could have occured because of proper schooling or proper parenting. This movie truly through me for a loop when clip after clip pointed out numerous flaws. I now question whether or not I would want my children watching these kind of movies.

As for the reading for Thursday I was particulary drawn to the essay about masculinity. When you interact with a group of close guy friends, you really don't realize the ongoing competition. I, being a male, had never really thought about how I display my masculinity...and once I had finished reading this essay I was almost ashamed of myself. Not because I was knowningly trying to put down others in order to boost my masculinity, but becasue I was doing it without even realizing it. Yes, males use terms such as "thats gay" or "he's a fag" and what is most shocking is those terms are only used to try and beleaguer others. I do have to say that I don't totally agree with the homophobia as a way of displaying masculinity. I am quite close with my guy friends and there is no lack of "love" between us. We refer to eachother as "brothers" we give always give big bear hugs haha. I also feel like if a homosexual were to approach us we would show respect, not talk down to them, and act as genuine guys. I'm not trying to say that we never have ridiculed someone behind their back but most of the time we act as gentlemen-like as we can as 21 year olds.

I'm am thankful that I have read this essay because the next time I try and display my masculinity I might just flex my muscles or challenge someone to an arm wrestling match rather than put people down for their sexual orientation.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmmmmmm, so is your masculinity defined by muscularity?

    We put ourselves through so many competitions...

    Time for me to think about which competitions I engage in, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete