Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Why Don't Gay People Just Keep Quiet?

I felt that this essay really touched on some of the misconceptions and myths people have about being homosexual. The author presented some great points about the pros and cons to coming out and other stresses put on homosexuals. The section about the letter of reference that included, "...would be proud to have this young man marry one of his daughters someday..." really hit home the reality of the inconvenience that even a homosexual student may have to go through in order to be seen as "normal".

I understand that this essay was explaining that more and more students have began speaking out and that they aren't staying silent, but it made me realize why homosexuals sometimes keep quiet. It seems natural to stay quiet just out of easiness. Society has put up so many barriers and loops that it is easier just being "normal" to everyone else. I also see how that can be a HUGE burden. Having to keep a secret like that, to have to act differently than what is natural, just so that you can keep a job or get accepted into graduate school.

If I take anything out of this class (I plan on taking many things with me but so far the most important has been...) it is that you can't imagine the stress, the barriers, the burden that homosexual people go through on a daily bases all because society labels them as abnormal. I have a new respect for those who are flat out trying to do what feels right to them...

1 comment:

  1. There has been a marked generational shift in attitudes towards homosexuality. Some of the foundations were built during my parents' generation. I'm often amazed by the diversity of experiences - some kids are out and proud, some are killed or beaten for being queer. So - progress yes, but hard to gauge overall from the bubble I live in.

    ReplyDelete